There's a plethora of activities to keep you busy while visiting the Baja. From random daily findings to picking up a new hobby. An adventurous spirit has a very apparent presence in the air, becoming more evident the more you talk to the people that frequently visit or call Mexico home. Ever think about giving kite boarding a try? Los Barriles has some of the most consistent conditions and even hosts Lord of the Winds annual competition. Fishing is also huge on the Sea of Cortez. The variety of fish is abundant and ever changing throughout the year. The first time pulling an animal out of the ocean that's bigger than you is absolutely mind-blowing, truly a humbling experience. The gorgeous sunrises & sunsets are impossible to ignore. Being right on The Tropic of Cancer it's easy to be awake for both, cerveza consumption dependent of course. I can't forget about baby sea turtles! If witnessing these cuties hatch is a bucket list item for you then be sure to visit anytime around August to November. Seven different species start their lives on the beaches of Baja. With six of the species being endangered they need all the help they can get making their trek to the ocean.
Lessons learned & helpful tips:
- Learn a little bit more Spanish than you think is necessary. Easy to order food & drinks. Hard to ask for your lost keys in a grocery store.
- Even Mexico has fine print. Don't bring more than 2 of anything or you'll pay an unexpected $117 USD in taxes at customs. I thought it was a great idea to bring 6 cameras "just in case".
- Just because tequila & beer is ridiculously cheap STILL doesn't make it ok to mix the two.
- Pesos look like monopoly money so it's kinda easy to treat it as such. It also fluctuates daily so make sure it's at a high point before exchanging all your currency over.
- Never pass up a gas station thinking there's another one coming up soon. Your hungover passengers just might kill you over the stress you caused them.
- When you get back home don't spend much time convincing people Baja is safe. Let them believe the world is too dangerous to explore. More tacos and Pacificos for you.
- If you've had a few ballina-sized Pacificos then suggest everyone gets ballena (whale) tattoos... they might actually think it's a great idea. Have a creative place picked out before hand.
- Never save an activity for "next time". Wake up early, catch the sunrise and do everything you desire cause you might not be back. Also... you can sleep when you're dead.
- Make at least one new friend on your adventures. It's surprisingly easy to make buddies while traveling which just might start plans on your next trip!